We are Oakmount Vets, a small animal practice in Burnley that achieved the top tier Veterinary Hospital status from the RCVS. This means we have the best equipment, team and processes in place to deliver outstanding pet care. We’re really proud of what we do and how we do it, for our patients, but also for each other.
To that end you can expect to work in one of the UK’s best equipped hospitals. You will be supported by an awesome (and much loved) nursing team. You can expect to be supported and encouraged to work cases up to a high standard. And you can expect a case volume that allows you to grow as a veterinarian, without breaking you mentally or physically.
On that note, there is always a support network there and at least one other vet, we never leave our vets (or anyone else) out on limb.
Here are some of the technologies we’ve invested in (Don’t worry if you don’t know how to use them all, we’ll happily teach you): Ultrasound, rigid laparoscopy, digital x-ray, digital dental x-ray, endoscope, tonometer pen, capnograph, infusion pump, syringe drivers, ECG, Doppler, Radiosurgery, cryosurgery, Idexx blood analyser - Catalyst, Vetlyte, Procyte, Snap reader. Microscope, centrifuge, hydrotherapy treadmill.
You will become confident in your abilities to communicate with clients and perform much of the day to day work of a small animal vet.
You’ll have a genuine fondness for people and be able to work well with clients and staff to achieve good outcomes. You’ll also have a desire to grow and be the type of person who seeks out feedback and opportunities to develop. (We’ll definitely be happy to support you with this as long as our goals are joined up - for example one of our vets is studying for their Cert AVP, so we provide time off and financial support to help them be successful.)
You’ll be the sort of person who is flexible. So, occasionally, if a case needs a little more attention or a rota goes sideways you are happy to get the job done or help a colleague out. But we will always make sure you get time back, or money and genuine gratitude when this happens).
About The Role
- You’ll need to be able to do the following to be successful in this role:
- Deliver empathetic, trust-building consultations for wellness and ill/injured animals.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and decision making skills to create and implement diagnostic and therapeutic treatment plans.
- Dentistry (we use dental x-rays and perform extractions using surgical technique and will teach you how to do this if you don’t know yet.)
- Surgical skills - neutering, lump removal wound repair are the core skills we need. If you can do more or want to learn more that’s a bonus.
- Imaging skills - basic abdominal and thoracic radiograph interpretation. Ultrasonography is a bonus that would be highly regarded.
- Ability to build trusting relationships quickly and have high emotional intelligence.
- Good at “vet admin” (note keeping, client call backs and billing).
What Do Our Team Say? Here’s what one of our current Vets said:
“I really like working here, it’s far better than any of my previous jobs, I don’t feel stressed and I’m working with people who want to achieve the same things I do. If more practices worked the way Oakmount do, then I think we’d have a much happier vet profession.” - Dr Jennifer.